Welcome, guest!
Broken clouds Broken clouds, 6°C,    5mph

Google Chrome and Silverlight

This topic was originally posted on the 16th April 2015 by Dan. It has received 23 replies and was last updated on the 17th April 2015 by Dan. If you would like to reply to this topic, please ensure you are registered and logged in.

Latest Reply

Hi all,

There appears to be a problem with watching our streams using Silverlight on Google Chrome web browser. The symptoms are that you are using Google Chrome and you see a message like this on the cam stream:

You click the button and install Silverlight but it says it cannot install because it has already been installed.

At the time of writing I am not sure what is causing this, except it will be an update to Google Chrome that is causing this.

Until they release an update (which they will soon no doubt), I will keep hunting for a solution and will update this thread when I have more info!

In the meantime, it seems to be working in other major free browsers like Firefox and Internet Explorer. I am sure it will start working again in Chrome because it is a pretty big problem and not just limited to LambWatch.

Thanks Dan.  Although I'm on Google Chrome and the cams don't show up sometimes, I haven't had the Silverlight install box so maybe I haven't had the Google Chrome update.  

There was an update to Google Chrome as I have just downloaded it.

Thanks Dan

Thanks Dan ,at least we know now what it is now ,Thanks

Hi guys,

It's not good news for Google Chrome users I am afraid. It looks like Google has officially dropped support for Silverlight in the latest version of its browser.

It appears Google believe they now have enough market share in the web browser world that they are flexing their muscles and disabling things that they don't like (anything that's not by them).

This is a big mistake in my opinion and, for those who use Google Chrome, I'd go as far as to say it's worth ditching Chrome for this very reason, not because LambWatch doesn't work in it, but because Google is just basically become too much of a bully and if they are doing this to Silverlight (and other plugins), then who knows what they will disable next!

I strongly recommend you stop using Chrome and opt for a free and perfectly acceptable alternative. Here's my recommendation list in order:

1. Mozilla Firefox
  2. Internet Explorer
  3. Vivaldi Browser

Google may choose to "U-turn" on their decision to disable Silverlight and I will keep you updated. We are also trying to get LambWatch working via YouTube Live Events but at the moment we're struggling with the software for that. If we succeed then we will be back in the bosom of Google and LambWatch will work fine again in Google Chrome.

But for the time being, if you're seeing the message as displayed above, and you're using Google Chrome, you're not going to get anywhere

Bloomin' Google!

Thanks again Dan.... Wouldn't you know it though;  I was just getting to like Google Chrome and this happens.  I will continue using it until I have to update it but if that isn't compulsory I will stay as I am.  If not, I'll be back to IE or Firefox or even Vivaldi which I don't think I've heard of before.

Sue in London (ish), England, UK (10:23:38)

Marvellous ain't it,downloaded the Google Chrome update and now tried to re download Silverlight and can't see the field or anything

I am seeing if it's possible to re-install an old version of Chrome and have it working again. Will update if I have success.

Google Chrome is working fine for me, no silverlight issues and I can see all the cams

Fi, can you do me a favour please and let me know what version of Chrome you're using. To find out how to get this info, can you follow these steps please:

[link]

If at any point you're asked to update to a newer version, say no!

41.0.2272.118 m

Yes, I thought so... 41. 42 and above will block silverlight. Make sure you disable automatic updates Fi!

Hi all,

Well I've been looking into this there is a solution for Google Chrome users of version 42 and above. 

The general solution is to:

1. Enable NPAPI
  2. Disable auto-updates of Google Chrome 
  3. Reboot PC

Following the steps will allow you to use the Silverlight plugin, hooray! The bads news is that Google is looking to COMPLETELY remove support for the technology by September, and to stop it disappearing then, you need to stop Google Chrome from automatically updating.

Here's a step by step guide to achieve the above. It's a bit of a rigmorole but should get you going again on Google Chrome:

1. In the Google Chrome address bar, enter "chrome://flags/" (without the quotes)
  2. The window that appears will have a lot of settings displayed and a scary message about biting experiments. Don't worry about this
  3. Scroll down to "Enable NPAPI " option and click the blue "Enable" button
  4. To prevent Google Chrome from automatically updating, you need to perform a little registry patch. 
  5. To do this, download this file: click here to download file securely from LambWatch
  6. Once downloaded, open the file and allow it to execute and run. 
  7. It will ask you if you are sure and do you want to proceed etc etc. Say "Yes" until you have the "success" message.
  8. Now for it all to take affect, simply restart your PC.
  9. Then after restarting, LambWatch (and Silverlight) should once again start working!!

Good luck folks. Please let us know if you get it working!!

Dan,

I have got that NPAPI on my list, but i do have Experimental Extension APIs is that the same thing?

Dan found this item would you please read it and let us know if we still need to do the above solution for chrome://flags.

Thanks

Sorry forgot to put the addy on.[link]

Hi Sue - yes, that link is saying the same thing as my post. You need to "disable the disabling" of NPAPI, i.e. enable NPAPI using the chrome://flags method, and, in order to stop Google completely wiping it out in September, disable the automatic update of the browser. Following the steps in my previous post will achive this for you.

If anybody would like any help achieving this, i am happy to help out. I can help you if you download and install TeamViewer, which you can install, and then, when we are both online, I can remotely do the steps above for you.

Download TeamViewer

Hi Dan. Iould appreciate yoour help on Teamviewer sometime tomorrow.Friday.

Thanks

It workied for me!  Three cheers for Dan who provided directions that even I could understand (and that's saying something.)  My new theme song "It's all right, it's OK, doesn't really matter if you're old and grey!"   I hope we have licked the SIlverlight problem forever.

I logged on this morning only to find that Google Chrome had automatically updated itself and I had the 'install Silverlight' box and no pic  so I had a go at Dan's instructions and managed to get the webcams up and running again.  

Hooray! Well done for getting it going Helen and Margaret! Sue, sure, when is a good time for you today? Can you please install TeamViewer and then email me (don't post publicly) the ID and password that TeamViewer displays when it loads. This will allow me to remotely access your computer to fix your Chrome:

Dan,,Have managed to do it myself,,So thanks a lot.

well done Sue!