Welcome, guest!
Overcast clouds Overcast clouds, 11°C,    6mph

Visiting the farm

This topic was originally posted on the 10th August 2008 by Dan. It has received 39 replies and was last updated on the 30th March 2015 by Helen. If you would like to reply to this topic, please ensure you are registered and logged in.

Latest Reply
Good evening everybody. Back in May, we had an "open day" where people were invited to come to the farm; to wander around and see the sheep, lambs and other animals that have been seen on the webcam. This was a great success and much fun was had by everyone. Since then, we have had quite a lot of interest for perhaps another open day but rather than arranging another proper "open day" on a specific day as such, we thought it might be easier (at least for us!) for anyone who would be interested in visiting the farm again (or who missed the first one and would like to visit for the first time) to use this forum (or this thread) to arrange between yourselves, a date on which you can all come to the farm, perhaps saving on petrol / transport costs and combining journeys (especially for people coming some distance). Obviously there are far fewer lambs at this time of year but we still have all the sheep, Ranvir, Cockly Head, Gordon, Lottie and Patch (who have not yet been on cam), and non-lamby animals like the ever-tame Muddyed, cat, plenty of rabbits, birds, herons, deer, birds of prey etcy, who are all still kicking around for you to see. It would also be appreciated if the date can be arranged for a day before the clocks go back in the UK (end of October) as the days will be a lot shorter after that day so there won't be as much daylight to see the animals! Also, it will be a lot more enjoyable if we can pick a sunny day rather than a rainy day but obviously this cannot really be considered for days too much in the future! Also, if you are coming and would like to bring some bread, please can you limit to one loaf per person as any more and we might overfeed them which isnt a good thing. The sheep will gorge until their bellies burst! But yeah, so a bit like the open day but not as formal really - if you can arrange a day between yourselves and we will keep an eye on this thread too so we can all be prepared for when you all turn up! You can use this thread to throw ideas around, make arrangements and anything else. Perhaps a good place to start is for people who are interested in coming to the farm to post when they would like to come, where they are coming from, how they intend to get here and any special requirements That way we can see who has overlapping journeys and where we can save petrol See you all soon! Dan and family.
P.S. Local people may be interested to know (if not already) that there is actually a footpath that runs through the farm (see an O.S. map of the area) which is always open so you can walk up the footpath anytime and see the trees and animals whenever you want
Me, I would like to come and I would be coming from North London up the M1. Cos its such a long drive I will be staying overnight in a Travelodge. Any weekend would be fine for me apart from the weekend containing 7th Sept. Looking forward to meeting you all soon. Fi
How about Bank Holiday weekend?
im not sure im going to be about that weekend.............. sometimes i spend the weekend down with Heather u c but with it being BH we will probably be doing somthing... other "normal" weekends will probably be fine thou
how about 30th August instead?
That sounds alright - I can be around for Saturday 30th August. I must admit I am surprised at the lack of response to this as I was under the impression that more people were interested in visiting. Oh well! I wonder if it is because people aren't aware about it. Ill send a few emails and see if anyone else can make this day and ask for some input.
30th August sounds okay but have to liaise with my daughter to make sure she can drive us. If not then will make enquiries about coming by rail. Will get back as soon as possible.
Hi Dan, If you can make the 30th August then I will be there. Will keep looking in to see if anyone else is going,as I do't want to put you,Your Mum and Dad out. Sue
Yeah 30th is the weekend after Bank Holiday so I should be here. Ican book myself up here if that's the day thats been decided?
i would like to come any day, really. i'd be coming in from California on a hope and a dream, possibly by way of wishing on many stars. my only requirement would be some Meep time. ~Teresa
Looks like 30th August is okay for me and mine to visit the farm, all being well.
Looks like 30th Aug it is then Sounds good
I have booked myself into somewhere to stay for the night of 30th. Looking forward to seeing you all.
Oh, I am positively green with envy! I would so like to be there with you all but that's obviously not possible from Memphis. But, I'll be there with you all in spirit. Have a great time and give all the sheep a pet from me, especially Cockly Head and Meep!!
Hi Shiela! How ru? long time no see For people coming to the farm please make sure u bring a decent pair of wellies! Everywhere is just a bog!
im green with envy!!!! wish i had a chance to visit and meet howard and lynda.but i love to watch the goings on there. thanks for a wonderful distraction during my day.
aww sam one day who knows! For those who are coming on Saturday please make sure you bring some wellies as the weather doesn't look like it is going to be very inspiring. Also, our postcode is BB18 6LB and you can find directions to us using google maps ([link] - just type in our postcode! If you need any help with directions please say as I can provide more precise directions on here to those who need. You can park at the farm or in Earby and walk up - it is not possible to walk to the farm from anywhere else other than Earby as it is too far! If anyone needs assistance getting to the farm let me know and i can come and pick up from local train / bus stations. See you saturday!
Dan,, could you let us know how long a walk it is to the farm from Earby? Thanks.
I'd say about half an hour depending on your pace! There is plenty of room to park at the farm though as it would be all uphill to walk up, so you only have to walk up if you want to!
Thanks for that... I think we will come to the farm if you have plenty of room.
I will need to park at the farm Dan, but are you sure it is still ok for me to come?
I have another question regarding the wet grass and boggy ground. Just how deep can this be? I have a pair of walking boots - would they be okay? Could the mud be more than ankle deep?
Of course it is still ok fi im hoping the weather is going to be ok for us on the day. do you know when you will be arriving? (that's an open question to everyone who is coming!). In terms of boggyness and wetness Margaret, walking boots will be absolutely fine.
Thanks Dan, I will hopefully arrive around 2ish. I hope you are feeling better now cos I heard you were not too well recently also.
I'm not sure yet but will let you know as soon as I have words with Ruth and Phil.
Hi Dan, Will it be possible for a pick up for me from Skipton Station Please. If You can please let me know the time which is convenient to you. If not able to I could always get a taxi. Sue
Hi Sue - no problem - just let me know when you are planning on arriving into skipton
Hi Dan, Just to let you know that we hope to be arriving around 1.30 - 2.00 p.m. all being well. Looking forward to meeting you all.
OK Margaret - sounds great see you tomorrow! Sue do you know when you will be arriving into Skipton yet? Thanks, Dan
Looking forward to seeing you all live on camera! Greetings from Germany! Wish I could be there to ...
Oh my gosh, Dani, I'm so glad you posted that. I hadn't even thought of that! I will be here watching too. Ya'll have fun.
Hello Dan and family, We arrived home just a little while ago after a wonderful afternoon with you. Thank you so much for your friendly welcome and hospitality. Margaret, Linda, Ruth and Phil
hope you all had a good day out.
Hi All, Well I got home just over an 1.5 hours ago and managed to do it in 4 hours on the dot. I too would like to thank Dan, Howard, Lynda, Heather and Ben plus all the sheep (especially Ranvir, Gordon, Cockley head, Meep, Myrtle, Mr Tup and that very clean sheep), hens, pusscat, muddyed and the little rabbit for a great time. It was great to meet you all including Margaret, her sister Linda, her daughter Ruth, Ruth's boyfriend Phil and also Sue. It was well worth all the hours driving!
And Lottie and Patch too! Thank you
Hi, Thanks Dan,Howard,Lynda and Heather for another great day at the farm.It was lovely to meet Margaret,Fi,Linda,Ruth and Phil,I hope to meet you all at the next open day that hopefully Dan,Lynda and Howard will have next year after all the lambs will be born. Sue
Glad everyone had fun it was good to meet some LambWatchers There are some pics and a video now in the highlights

I am coming if you decide to have another Open Day, just saying

I will be in the UK (West Sussex) in mid-May but no chance to come north, unfortunately.  I will always remember the wonderful afternoon I had at the farm in (2010?)  I forget which year now.  An experience of a lifetime.  Thank you, Lynda and Howard.  (I am coming to make a last visit to a school friend with whom I have stayed in contact for 60 years, probably our last visit as she is very unwell.)